• Acevedo Bill–The Acevedo Bill is the informal name for Illinois General Assembly Public Act 093-07 and 110 ILCS 305/7e-5, which is the law that allows for in-state tuition for certain students who are not U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents, or do not possess a green card, visa, or other legal documentation, provided specific criteria are met. See “In-State Tuition Qualifications” for more information.
  • Affidavit –The UIC Illinois Residency Affidavit  is a document that students who meet the criteria for in-state tuition under the Acevedo Bill (110 ILCS 305/7e-5) must sign, have notarized, and submit to the UIC Office of Admission in order to be eligible to receive in-state tuition at UIC. The affidavit requires students to answer a series of question and to swear that they will file an application to become a permanent resident of the United States at their earliest opportunity. The affidavit is kept in confidence by UIC.
  • Financial Aid –Financial Aid commonly refers to the financial assistance that’s available through the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Federal Student Aid and the state of Illinois’ Illinois Student Assistance Commission. Student aid covers school expenses such as tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation. There are three categories of federal student aid: grants, work-study and loans. The Financial Aid program at UIC is administered by the Office of Student Financial Aid.

To be eligible to receive student aid, you must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. International and non-citizen students are not eligible to receive federal or state financial aid. However, students may qualify for other types of financial aid and/or scholarships.

See “Financial Aid and Scholarships” for additional information. Please visit the Federal Student Aid page and College Zone to learn more about federal or state financial aid eligibility.

  • International – The university considers any student who currently holds a visa of any type or is seeking a visa to be international. Even if you do not require a student (F or J) visa to attend UIC, you are viewed as an international applicant. Most policies which apply to those seeking student visas will apply to holders of other types of visas. Please visit international applicant requirements for additional information about admissions policies for international students, or the Office of International Services’ website for information on being an international student at UIC.
  • Residency Status – Residency status refers to in-state or out-of-state residency for purposes of tuition assessment.  Residents of the state of Illinois are assessed in-state tuition, and all other students are assessed out-of-state tuition. U.S. citizens, permanent residents and holders of certain types of visas may establish Illinois residency and qualify for in-state tuition provided certain conditions are met. The Illinois law described above as the Acevedo Bill allows for some students, including non-citizens, to qualify for in-state tuition provided specific criteria are met.
  • Non-Citizen – The non-citizen category applies to students who are not U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents of the United States and who do not hold a valid visa or who are not seeking a visa for study or documentation for residency in the U.S.
  • Undocumented – Undocumented refers to students who are not U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents of the United States, who do not hold a visa to reside in the U.S. and who have not applied for legal residency in the U.S. In many, but not all, cases the term non-citizen refers to undocumented students. Undocumented students are eligible to apply for and be admitted to UIC. Undocumented students are not eligible for federal financial aid.